IREM Key Report - A Practical Guide to Energy Management
John Klein, Sharon Levin, and Deborah Cloutier
This new publication outlines practical steps real estate managers can take to reduce energy consumption and save on energy costs. Important considerations are:
- Creating and implementing an action plan to improve energy performance
- Starting with simple strategies—turning off lights and equipment when not in use, adjusting thermostat temperature settings up during the cooling season or down during the heating season
- Managing after-hours HVAC use and costs
- Heating and cooling vacant space only when and as needed
- Including water conservation as an energy issue
- Cleaning offices during daytime hours to use less light
- Purchasing energy economically—working with the utilities, seeking special rates, aggregating power purchases
- Reviewing utility (electricity, gas, etc.) bills and learning to understand them
- Encouraging changes in occupant behavior
The authors also recommend being fair with your tenants in regard to pass-through charges, discussing the advantages of submetering. And because energy management should be a team effort, they outline ways to recognize the team and the individual team members.
Softcover, 64 pages
IREM Key Report: Risk Management in the Post 9/11 World
This key report reviews the current practice of risk management within the property management business. Due to recent events and trends such as the 9/11 terrorist attacks and increasing awareness about mold, insurance rates have risen significantly. The report covers methods of identifying the extent of risk liability for your property, determining the probability that your property may suffer damage, and calculating the financial impact of your risk management decisions, either by mitigating, transferring, or avoiding the risk altogether.
Softcover, 20 pages
IREM Key Report - Mold: What Every Professional Real Estate Manager Needs to Know
This key report serves as a timely overview of mold issues that property managers should and must be aware of to better protect themselves and their properties. The report provides key information that will help property managers understand exactly what mold is - how to detect it, prevent it, and eradicate it, including when and how to hire an outside professional.
Softcover, 52 pages
IREM Key Report - Commercial Tenant Retention: Strategies for Today’s Market
Finding a new tenant can rapidly deplete your firm’s marketing funds; it can cost six times more to find that new tenant than to keep an existing one. Still, tenant retention programs never seem to move to the top of the priority list until the tenants start walking. Keep your existing tenants on the rent roll. Successful tenant retention programs provide the services that not only distinguish your property within the market but are also valued by your tenants. This IREM® Key Report, Commercial Tenant Retention: Strategies for Today’s Market, provides seven steps that are needed to develop a long-term tenant retention program within your firm. Specific topics address: identifying which tenants are worth saving; uncovering tenant retention strategies that provide value to your tenants; maximizing your unique knowledge of local markets to provide assistance to tenants; reaping the benefits of long-term tenant relationships, and more.
Softcover, 28 pages