IREM and the University of Wisconsin – Stout Collaborate to
Advance Real Estate Management
* * * * * * * * * *
(Chicago, March 13, 2013) – The Institute of Real Estate Management(IREM) and the University of Wisconsin – Stout (“UW-Stout”) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) outlining a collaboration to advance the real estate management profession through education and encouraging interest in the profession as an attractive career opportunity. IREM has an aggressive program in place to promote real estate management careers and attract a pool of new talent to the industry through academic outreach. UW–Stout, also known as Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, offers a comprehensive and challenging property management program that prepares graduates for work in a variety of real estate management areas, including public housing, apartments, condominiums, community associations, vacation properties, offices, industrial parks and shopping centers.
Under the terms of the MOU, IREM will:
- Promote UW-Stout as a provider of real estate education – through its Bachelor of Science degree in Property Management and Minor in Property Management – through its website and other communications channels.
- Recognize UW-Stout’s Bachelor of Science degree and Minor in Property Management as fulfilling many of the educational requirements to earn IREM’s prestigious CPM designation.
- Provide UW-Stout with resource material to further develop its real estate curriculum and promote career opportunities in real estate management.
- Connect UW-Stout to IREM chapters in the region for collaborative purposes.
- Recognize the IREM student club at UW-Stout as an official IREM Student Club.
- Provide UW-Stout with the opportunity to administer IREM’s Certified Property Manager (CPM) and Accredited Residential Manager (ARM) certification exams to students matriculating through its Property Management degree programs.
For its part, UW-Stout will, among other initiatives:
- Recognize IREM as a principal provider of real estate management education and credentials
- Provide IREM with a seat on its Property Management Advisory Committee
- Utilize IREM textbooks and resource material, as appropriate, to develop and deliver its real estate management curriculum.
- Promote IREM’s Student Membership program.
OTHER IREM COLLABORATIONS
In addition to UW-Stout, IREM currently has collaborative agreements and relationships with these academic institutions that have real estate degree programs: Cornell University, Ithaca, NY; Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.; St. Augustine’s University, Raleigh, NC; Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA; Ball State University, Muncie, IN; University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL; and California State University-Fullerton, Fullerton, CA
MORE ABOUT UW-STOUT
Founded in 1891, UW-Stout, located in Menomonie, WI, serves a unique role in the University of Wisconsin System. UW-Stout is the first university in the United States to receive the prestigious Baldrige National Quality Award given by the United State Department of Commerce. Property management is among the distinctive array of programs it offers leading to professional careers focused on the needs of society.
In January of this year, UW-Stout’s property management undergraduate degree program received a $1 million donation from Dean Weidner, founder and owner of Weidner Apartment Homes of Kirkland, WA. It will be used to establish the Weidner Center for Residential Property Management within the UW-Stout College of Management’s School of Hospitality Leadership. For additional information visit http://www.uwstout.edu/programs/bspm/.
ABOUT THE INSTITUTE OF REAL ESTATE MANAGEMENT
Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM) is an international
community of real estate managers across all property types dedicated to ethical
business practices and maximizing the value of investment real estate. An
affiliate of the National Association of Realtors, IREM has been a
trusted source for knowledge, advocacy and networking for the real estate
management community for more than 80 years.
IREM is the only professional real estate management association serving both
the multi-family and commercial real estate sectors and has 80 U.S. chapters, 14
international chapters, and several other partnerships around the globe.
Worldwide membership includes nearly 18,000 individual members and over 535
IREM promotes ethical real estate management practices through its
credentialed membership programs, including the Certified Property
Manager (CPM) designation, the Accredited Residential
Manager (ARM) certification, the Accredited Commercial
Manager (ACoM) certification, and the Accredited Management
Organization (AMO) accreditation. These esteemed
credentials certify competence and professionalism for those engaged in real
estate management. IREM also offers CPM Candidate, Associate,
Student, and Academic memberships. All members are bound by the strictly
enforced IREM Code of Professional Ethics.
Collectively, CPM Members in the United States manage nearly $2
trillion in real estate assets, including 11.4 million residential units and
10.4 billion net square feet of commercial space. To learn more about the IREM
and its chapter network, call (800) 837-0706, ext. 4650 (outside the U.S. call
(312) 329-6000) or visit www.irem.org.