IREM and University of Baltimore Collaborate to
Advance Real Estate Management
* * * * * * * * * *
(Chicago, September 6, 2013) – The Institute of Real Estate Management
(IREM) and the University of Baltimore on behalf of its Real Estate and Economic Development Program (REED) housed within the school’s Merrick School of Business, have signed an agreement. The document outlines a collaborative relationship to advance the real estate management profession through education and encourage interest in the profession as an attractive career opportunity.
IREM has long been committed to promoting real estate management careers and attracting a pool of new talent to the industry through academic outreach. The University of Baltimore’s REED program prepares graduates for careers in real property and offers a Bachelor of Science in Real Estate and Economic Development. Graduates gain a comprehensive set of business skills and learn all about facets of real property, including marketing, community development, financial evaluation, and law.
Under the terms of the agreement, IREM will:
- Recognize REED as a provider of real estate education on IREM’s website and in other promotional materials.
- Recognize the University of Baltimore’s Bachelor of Science in Real Estate and Economic Development degree as one that fulfills the specified educational requirements for IREM’s Certified Property Manager (CPM) designation.
- Provide REED with resource material to use in developing its real estate curriculum and materials about careers in real estate management for distribution to its students.
- Connect REED to IREM’s Maryland Chapter No. 16 for purposes of mutual collaboration.
For its part, REED will, among other initiatives:
- Recognize IREM as a principal provider of real estate management education and credentials.
- Utilize IREM textbooks and resource material, as appropriate, to develop and deliver its real estate management curriculum.
- Make information about IREM’s Student Membership program available on the UB website.
- Provide IREM Maryland Chapter No. 16 a seat on the Real Estate Advisory Board of the Merrick School of Business and extend an invitation to a representative of IREM Headquarters to attend the Real Estate Advisory Board meetings held each May.
In addition, Dr. Deborah A. Ford, Director of the University of Baltimore’s Undergraduate Real Estate and Economic Development Program, will serve on IREM’s 2014 national Student and Academic Outreach Advisory Board. Dr. Ford will be an extremely valued resource to the Board, which helps to identify the strategies and tactics IREM uses to engage colleges, universities and students.
MORE ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY OF BALTIMORE’s REED PROGRAM
For additional information about REED, visit www.ubalt.edu/realestate.
OTHER IREM ACADEMIC COLLABORATIONS
In addition to the University of Baltimore, IREM currently has collaborative agreements and relationships with these academic institutions that have real estate degree programs: Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.; St. Augustine’s University, Raleigh, NC; Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA; Ball State University, Muncie, IN; University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL; California State University-Fullerton, Fullerton, CA; Cornell University; University of Wisconsin-Stout; and the University of Missouri-Kansas City.
ABOUT THE INSTITUTE OF REAL ESTATE MANAGEMENT
The Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM) is an international community of real estate managers dedicated to ethical business practices, maximizing the value of investment real estate, and promoting superior management through education and information sharing. An affiliate of the National Association of REALTORS, IREM is the home for all industry professionals connected to real estate management – and the only organization serving both the multi-family and commercial sectors.
We believe that good management matters, and that well-managed properties pay dividends in terms of value and in the quality of life for residents, tenants and customers. We believe in professional ethics. We believe in the power of knowledge and the importance of sharing it.
IREM offers a variety of membership types for professionals of every experience level, from on-site managers to high-level executives. Our credentials, earned by meeting high standards of education, experience, and ethical business practices, include: Certified Property Manager (CPM), Accredited Residential Manager (ARM), Accredited Commercial Manager (ACoM), or Accredited Management Organization (AMO).
Since 1933, IREM has set the standard for best practices in real estate management. Today, IREM membership includes nearly 18,000 individuals and 560 corporate members. To learn more about the IREM and its chapter network, call (800) 837-0706, ext. 4650 (outside the U.S. call (312) 329-6000) or visit www.irem.org.